The NWYVL will follow all the requirements and protocols as outlined in governor’s COVID-19 requirements published and updated on February 1, 2021. Volleyball is classed as a “moderate risk” sport and the North region is in the “Phase 2” for COVID-19 activity, which allows us to play league games.
We understand that both the physical and mental wellbeing of children is enhanced by physical activity and social contact with their teammates, friends and coaches and it is our goal to get players back on the court with a reasonable assumption of risk.
However, to be involved we require everyone’s cooperation and compliance with the safety protocols outlined below.
All athletes, coaches, referees, and spectators are required to:
- Stay home if they feel unwell, show any signs of COVID-19, or are a close contact of a confirmed case.
- Self-screen for signs/symptoms of COVID-19 prior to all league games. Any person with symptoms of COVID-19 or who is a close contact of someone with confirmed COVID-19 should stay home and not participate in games.
- Wear facial coverings at all times per the Department of Health facial covering order. Players must also wear them during game play.
- Maintain physical distance of 6 feet with the exception of athletes during game play.
- Not share water bottles, uniforms, towels, or snacks etc.
- Provide a roster or contact details to assist with contact tracing in the event of a possible exposure.
Spectators will be allowed into the gym provided they wear a face covering and the building occupancy hasn’t exceeded 239 people. Spectators from different households must maintain physical distance of at least six (6) feet between each person.
Athletes, coaches, referees and staff are required to practice good hygiene including washing their hands frequently and covering their sneezes and coughs. Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after practice, especially after touching shared objects or blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains 60-95% alcohol content.
Hand sanitizing stations will be available at the entrance of the gym and on each team’s bench. Showers will not be used due to potential spread of aerosolized droplets. Locker rooms will not be used for changing; athletes are expected to arrive and leave in their volleyball uniform.
High touch surfaces and shared equipment will be disinfected before and after each use. Restrooms will be cleaned and disinfected regularly. Disinfectants used are registered by the EPA for use against the COVID-19 and will be based on hydrogen peroxide or alcohol which are safer than harsher chemicals.
Ventilation systems have been checked and operate properly for good indoor air quality. Mechanical ventilation systems have been adjusted to bring in as much outside air as possible.